Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Someone fill in the blanks of the proposed realignment.


The AA that would most benefit the Pgh NABA.

The big pending change in the league is the proposed move to 3 divisions
Is it necessary?
I'm of the mind that if it ultimately just leads to a slightly unbalanced schedule it will work, but I think a greater competitive balance (as opposed to last year when there was a drastic gap between the very best and very worst teams) could still be struck by simply creating a rookie division, and splitting into A and rookie. or A and AA

The Hurricanes won the championship last year, the heavily favored Owlz didn't make it out of the conference semi's. No knock on the Fightin's (or last year's defending champ, Z-Men) the Canes earned it, but their victory came after a season in which they finished dead last, underscoring the ability of any team to make a run.
Except the Gray Bats who dissolved having never defeated the Ducks in four attempts.

Ultimately I will support whatever decision we vote on, and whatever the Commish decides, but i think we should consider what we hope to accomplish as a league by dividing into rookie, A, and AA, and see if there is a simpler way to attain it, so we don't have a 4 team division, in which those teams play the same 3 teams 6 times a season.
I wasn't at the league meeting.

I'd like to see a traditional playoff format with series, followed by an intra league tourney, which i think is in the works.

I'm a baseball traditionalist, and I also want what is best for the league - to attract and retain players of all skill levels and abilities, which I believe is what we hope to do by splitting into 3 divisions. Again I don't know the ins and outs, and I know the Commish operates soley with the growth and stability of the Pgh NABA in mind.

I'm asking for ontemplation on this issue before we vote on a format everyone bitches about all summer. Both formats can work, but it is important that the managers consider the implications of the split and to vote with the league's best interest in mind.
Either way we get to play ball and that's the important thing.



Joe Graff is my hero.

Quack.